Expresscard/34 memory card reader?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by beaster, May 19, 2006.

1. beaster macrumors member

beaster

My wife just got a MBP 17" and is in need of a memory card reader for compactflash and memory sticks. Since she's not using the Expresscard/34 slot for anything, I figure an ideal solution would be an ExpressCard/34 memory card reader, if such an animal exists and is compatible with the MBP. I found:

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=1051&catid=128

but it only indicates support for Windoze. Anybody suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Subiklim macrumors 6502

Sweet! That will work with my new DELL laptop :eek:

I know, I know. But I got it the day before the macbooks came out, and I'm holding on untill Rev C. w/ 10.5

3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

4. beaster thread starter macrumors member

beaster

Because she's not using the Expresscard slot for anything else, and it'd be a nice clean solution that doesn't require carting around a dongly usb reader which is easily lost.

-Sean

5. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

im guessing that uses the USB functionality built into the new expresscard format. Since macs are most of the time compatible with most USB stuff (though it can sometimes be a swing and a miss) I would give it a shot, and then return it if it didnt work. Good luck.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

USB reader = $10, ExpressCard reader = $50.
    Speed difference = negligable
    Why are we having this conversation, again?

7. beaster thread starter macrumors member

beaster

I don't want a USB solution if I can have an ExpressCard solution. I don't care about the $40 difference. A USB adapter is one more thing for my wife to lose or forget to pack on a shoot. An ExpressCard solution means it's always there, plugged in, no chance of losing it or breaking it or getting the USB cable caught on something. My wife is not using the Expresscard port for anything else, but she does use the USB ports for printer, keyboard, mouse.

Anyway, it's the same reason people like having bluetooth built-in rather than having another friggin' adapter to plug in and deal with. I'm not sure why I have to defend my desire for such a solution.

-Sean

8. Subiklim macrumors 6502

Macs are about simplicity (at nearly any cost). Having to carry around an extra piece of equipment, and plug it in is not simple, and the cost is small to avoid it.

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

it works... my friend has it works fine no need for drivers

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If the Express/34 reader sticks out of the side of the Mac at all, then it would pretty risky to leave it inserted for transport, as the consequences of a bang or drop - even within a case - could be internal and expensive.

11. beaster thread starter macrumors member

beaster

Thanks Applemacdude. I just re-read the fine print and realized that it isn't compatible with CompactFlash chips unfortunately. Dang. Presumably it's the form factor of the CF cards.

-Sean

12. mineolut macrumors newbie

This one works on my Mac

Hello,

I've bought this 8-in-1 Adapter about 1 month ago, and it works great with my Macintosh.
    I use it on my 2 laptops (in is a DELL (PC) and the other is a Mac).:)

As the website say there is no need of drivers for Mac (OS 8.6, 9.X, 10.1.2 or superior)

I have Mac OS 10.1.5 and it works like a breath (but I just tested this one)
    So I guess it really works on other latest version (and more older ones 8.6 and 9.x)

The price is 35 EUR + 5 EUR WorldWide Delivery - wherever you live:confused:
    (strange the price is the same wether you live in Canada, Italy or Lebanon, the price is the same, Anyway I received it so no problem)

[​IMG]

The website is : www.expresscard-reader.com

Hope that helps you/someone

Bye

Mineolut