Ext DVD burner not even noticed...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spizer511, Mar 13, 2006.

1. spizer511 macrumors newbie

spizer511

Allrighty... I'm running a G4 powerbook.

867mhz processor
    640 mb RAM
    60gb HD

You know, the works right? Anywho, I have an external dvd burner that I bought, and up until about two or three weeks ago it worked. I didn't change any system settings, didn't delete anything, move anything... it just simply stopped being recognized. I used patchburn to create the profile way back when and it worked just fine. And I know its not the burner that's the problem because it still works with my tablet pc.

Burner spec-wise, its a usb only toshiba external, that up until this point had not disappointed.

If you've got any idea why my mac would just simply stop even noticing that I'd plugged the external burner into the usb port (it recognizes everything else) please, let me know.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Since you checked the burner out on your PC did you then check out your other usb port (if you have two) and see if that still works with a camera or your burner? When it's connected does it show up in system profiler or does anything else show up when plugged into the usb port? Is this port 1.1 or 2.0 and the same for the Tablet?

3. spizer511 thread starter macrumors newbie

spizer511

Both usb ports definitely work on my mac (I've used my camera, my ipod, and external HD on either many times since). And as far as I know the ports are usb 2.0. I'm not precisely sure how to check, the system profiler didn't say anything either way (1.1 vs 2.0). Also, the external burner doesn't appear in the system profiler when plugged in...

Yeah... I'm getting the feeling this might be a lost cause. Haha.

Edit: And the tablet is definitely usb 2.0, I bought it new last year.