Ext. enclosure for MacBook drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tderemigis, Oct 30, 2006.

1. tderemigis macrumors member

I had bought a 120 GB Western Digital Drive for my macbook and eventually switched back to my stock 60 GB drive bc it was causing heating problems. I cant seem to find a compact enclosure for the 120 GB drive. Any suggestions?

2. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

3. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, wasn't that wonderfully non-specific.

In fact, not one of the enclosures on that page would be suitable. I did not subject myself to the pain of looking through the other three pages of products.

There are few SATA 2.5" enclosures on the market. We have one here, a Startech SATACASE25OTG-9503R1, USB 2.0 On-the-Go SATA enclosure, It has the 'On the Go' feature that allows you to connect a digital camera, USB memory drive or card reader, and dump the data into the hard drive without having to be plugged into a computer, plus it can be powered with 4 AA batteries, so you can be totally mobile. Haven't had time to try it out yet, but it could be good for photographers.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

You know there are options on the side to specify which type of enclosure you want. I'm not an expert on SATA enclosures or 2.5" enclosures, but have purchased 3.5" enclosures from Newegg before.

Anyway, here's a link with SATA 2.5" off Newegg for the lazy -- it looks as though there are only 2 in stock, and 1 says something about only being able to be used as an external enclosure for Apple.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...53807124+1054107131&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=92