extending Airport signal 2 floors below

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caccamolle, Sep 25, 2006.

1. caccamolle macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2005
    Quick feasibility check here.

I live in an apt building here in NYC on the 11th floor, where I use a airport base station (snow model) to browse connect to the internet (what a waste ! I, at most, have a desktop and a portable using it - but at the time I purchased it the A/X was not around).

Anyhow, I also use another apt. in the same building which is pretty much 2 floors lower.

Is there anyway I could bring that signal down ? I was thinking may be using the A/X signal extension and placing it near the window ? I just have no idea.

By the way, while I am here, should I consider replacing the base station with the A/X, considering that the latter is much faster and that I do not need at all the capacity of the BS.

I understand that "data transfers" would certainly benefit. What I don't know though is whether my bottle neck is in the internet connection itself (cable) or the wireless connection.

thx for any help.
  2. seanf macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2006
    Before you doing anything else, have you simply tried going down to the other Apartment and checking what signal strength you get?

Sean :)
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I would try using an Airport Express as a repeater down in the second apartment, however if the signal strength is not strong enough for it to recognize, it wont be of much use.

Depending on what speed cable you have, it is most likely that the bottle neck is there, and not with any wireless device. 802.11g is 54 mbps, so in theory that should be enough.
  4. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2005
    thank you guys.

Sure, I spend time in the apt. below and there is no signal from upstairs, as you would expect in this type of buildings. Also, my BS is in a closet deep inside the apt. not close to any windows.

So, that's what I was thinking. If, on the apt. above a use a A/X to extend the signal from the BS to the windows (which are on the same side of the windows of the apt 2 floors below), may be this will work ?

Just guessing here. May be I should just try it out, but I know there's got to be a way.