Extending MBA: USB3 Stick, microSD or USB3 case with SSD drive inside?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pantelija, Nov 21, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2012
    Hello guys, as the title says - I am looking for a way to extend the storage capacity of the MBA.

- USB3 sticks got really cheaper, and the read/write speeds seem to be ok.
    - microSD cards are affordable as well, but they are pretty slow as it looks like.
    - Finally, SSD's are faster then USB sticks, but also more expensive...

Do you have any experience in this regard?

Thanks for any response!
  2. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2011
    My plan is to get the Nifty MiniDrive for the Macbook Air, and put at 64GB microSDXC in it. It won't be super-fast, but for user data, it should be serviceable.
  3. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    I don't need oogles of data everyday, just oogles of data to be readily accessible. LAN storage is my thing, unlimited, easily scalable, and wirelessly accessible, and days where I need to move lots of stuff, pull out the ethernet cable.
  4. macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2008
    I've been struggling this one before pick up my MBA. I want the smallest factor; hints went to 11" and w/o SD card slot and paid $500 more for the 512GB and have a faster SSD than the Nifty solution.
  5. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Ah yes, but my solution costs less than $100 and I get a bigger screen and battery. :) Size wasn't a factor for me, 13" was plenty small enough, and it turns out the Air fits perfectly in my decade-old leather folio, so everything else is cake. ;)