extending range of wireless

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by plutnicki, Feb 18, 2004.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    I have a TiBook that is just shy of a year old, and an Airport extreme base station. Most places in my house, my reception is fine, but in other places it is a little weak. Enough so that I'm considering finding a way to increase the my reception. There seems to be a few ways to do that.

1) Add an external antenna to the base station
    2) Add an external antenna to the TiBook
    3) Buy a wireless card

Each option seems to be within a few dollars of each other. I never use the PCMCIA slot, so loosing the use of it wouldn't harm me in the least. I don't do wireless ANYWHERE but at home. Options 2 and 3 mean I have to have something sticking out of or on the TiBook. I transport my book daily, so that bothers me a little as I could see something sticking out getting damaged. Option 3 would allow me to increase the speed of my connection to 801.11g, but plain old b is not a bottleneck in my network.

On the surface, it seems like option 1 would be the best bet to solve my problem. Anyone have any experience with the external antenna's on the Airport base stations (I got the one with the modem, so I have a port for it). Will it help as much as options 2 or 3...

2. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    I have an external antenna on my Tibook. It hasnt helped at all with its poor reception. I would say that an external antenna on your airport is the way to go.
  3. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2003
    St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
    boosting TI wireless

if you have a home network, try putting a linksys wireless access point on your network as far away from your airport base station as possible.

I found that the linksys access points produce a vastly stronger reception on my TIPB than my (standard) airport base station. And they're not that expensive.