Extending the Touchscreen with Physical Objects (Video)

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 11, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

http://vimeo.com/23507405

Interactive Art and Technology student Mike Knuepfel has posted a teaser video for his thesis which asks if there are new ways that we can use the touchscreen to interface with tangible objects:
    The video shows seven different objects which interact with the iPad in interesting ways. In particular, there are two pressure-sensitive styluses using different techniques. One takes advantage of multi-touch by extending a second touch stylus and using the distance between the two to measure pressure. The second uses audio feedback to determine pressure.

[​IMG]

At least one similar concept has already been brought to market. Ten One Design's fling is a simplistic touch-sensitive joystick that attaches to an iPad's screen. I'm sure we'll see more of these types of products as the popularity of touch screens continues to grow.

[via Creative Applications]

Article Link: Extending the Touchscreen with Physical Objects (Video)

2. macrumors regular

very cool. Like to see more of this

3. macrumors member

wad11656

EPIC

Can't wait to see more as well!

Had no idea there were so many possibilities with using the touch screen to interact with other physical objects...!

:apple:

4. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

The music made it seem there was some other touch screen physical interaction going on that they weren't showing us! :p

5. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I fail to see many practical applications...

6. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

I really wish the iPad came with a stylus and also was pressure sensitive. This would have big benefits with handwriting and art apps. Just my 2¢

7. macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

It is a nice start but there is still a long way to go! The joystick is handy for a couple of games on the iPad!!

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

Some fun and creative experiments, worth doing whether they all end up leading to products or not.

For a stylus, the ideal solution (which I’m sure someone will get around to) would be a pressure sensor in the pen, transmitting via bluetooth to those paint apps that choose to support it. (The remaining apps would support the stylus passively like any other.) Of course, out current capacitive touchscreens are never going to have a Wacom feel, because a hard, precise point doesn’t work with them. In fact, even the smaller soft styluses work less well, requiring a harder press, than the fatter ones. I like my fat Boxwave for drawing, all the same!)

9. macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

has anyone tried making a bluetooth stylus with the pressure sensitivity in the pen and have it transmit that data over bluetooth? Because it seems like that's what he's doing with the audio cable

10. macrumors regular

11. macrumors 6502

There are some cool things in that video and it's very unlikely that apple will supply us with a stylus but for third party companies the pressure sensor and stuff can open up a load more opportunities.

12. macrumors 6502a

I was looking at the iPad shell instead of the stylus or iPad screen during the whole video.