Extending Wireless on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JoshRtek, Aug 12, 2006.

1. JoshRtek macrumors member

Just a quick question for you all:

I recently got my mac pro, but I ordered it without the wireless option. Our router is in the living room, but I have the computer on the other side of the house and I was wanting to know if could use a "Range Extended" base station (not a router) next to the Mac Pro and plug it into an ethernet port on the station. Has anyone ever tried this before?

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

But if the Mac isn't wireless enabled, I don't see how it would work.

Does the Extender (theres some on the Apple store site) act as a wireless adapter?

I thought it was just a bridge between your computer and the wireless point. Say for example you use your computer in an outbuilding, or seperate office maybe across the yard. :confused:

3. JoshRtek thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm wondering. Because the Airport Express has an ethernet port on it...what else would it be used for other than giving something access to the internet or a network?

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I believe if you plug an airport express/extreme into the Mac Pro, it can receive signal (wirelessly) from another airport express/extreme.

Word is that the internal module should be ready be Sept 1.

5. JoshRtek thread starter macrumors member

So could I buy an off-brand range extender (say, D-Link) and do the same thing?

6. Mongus macrumors newbie

For Conecting to a Broadband modem

I beleve the ethernet port on the express is so that you can connect to a boradband modem, or say the ethernet cable in a hotel room. Then the Express works as a small wireless router for that connection. I don't know about the way you want to use it.