Extending wireless range

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Stampyhead, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I gave my old Ti Powerbook to my girlfriend after I purchased a new one. She loves having a computer with wireless capabilities, but because of the wireless range issues of the old Ti Books she cannot get any signal from her bedroom, where she would ideally like to be able to use the computer. I wanted to get her an Airport Express to extend the range of her wireless signal to her room, but she has some crappy hybrid modem/wireless router that came with her Qwest DSL service, and if I remember correctly the AExpress does not work as a bridge with anything other than an Airport base station. Is this correct? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for other products (Linksys, D-Link, etc.) that would work well as a bridge for her setup? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. lazymuoio macrumors member

your intial assumption is corrct the Airport express does not replicae or extend non apple networks...therefore i recommend two options get a ridge from whoever makes the crappy router or if money is not an issue uy two airport expresses from apple and replace the old router...best of luck

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

4. aclose72 macrumors member

you may want to search the archives a bit on this issue. or check at macoshints.com. i'm sure i saw something about being able to use the airport express with a linksys router. i don't think all the features are supported as they would be with an airport, but i'm sure you were able to boost your range.
    sorry i don't have a definite answer, but i do think i've seen this talked about...

5. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

LeeTom - Yes, you are correct, thank you. It is an ActionTec. I knew it was something like that, but I couldn't remember excactly until you said the name.
    Thanks for all of the comments. Since I'd like to get an AExpress for myself anyway, I think I'll try one out and see if I can get any part of it to work. If that doesn't do the trick I'll look into a Linksys bridge.
    Thanks!