Extensive Vdeo Editing + sound composing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yiorgos, Jun 30, 2004.

1. yiorgos macrumors newbie

Hello, I am about to leave behind me the world of windows to enter the one of the original ones -that is mac OS.

One of the main uses of my future computer will be video editing.

I am thinking between the different sizes of powerbooks or g5 dual2.0 or 2.5.

Initialy i was thinking of the 15'' pb but most of the time i wil work at home so i guess i could plug the12'' as well to a bigger monitor.

The "most of the time i will work at home" put me in thoughts about if i should buy a g5 desktop (+ the monitor i need).

There is also a technical question i have:

is it possible for a powerbook , let's say 15'' 1,5 ghz, to work full on for 8-10-15 hours?

I am thinking of the heating and the powerloss of hd+cpu.

thanks

2. Koree macrumors 6502

Ya, pretty sure it will

I've done some stuff with my teachers powerbook at school and had it do some stuff overnight etc. But why don't you just go for the G5 if your gonna be home. Cuz i think G5s that are out now will not be outdated for some times since they are having trouble getting the chips faster.

3. Koree macrumors 6502

And in case it does get hot...

There are a lot of products out there for cooling your powerbooks when you are at home. You just set the powerbook on top of it :) They aren't very expensive either.

4. Koree macrumors 6502

Never Mind

If you are gonna use it for 15 hours straight. COOL IT ON ONE OF THE PB STANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if i miss informed you earlier

5. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

If you're really going to be doing "Extensive" video editing, get the G5. The powerbook will do the basics of DV to a point, but you're going to hit the wall eventually with a PB and firewire drive.