Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ed Zappeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Audio works fine except that now my Fast Track Pro has stopped receiving audio.

The sound card is seen, recognised and connected to in 'Sound' but no audio is leaving the laptop.

I'm running a:

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

It's more than powerful enough to run everything I use to for including multichannel audio processing, sound design, rendering etc.

I've been looking everywhere for other info but to no avail....

Any ideas? :)

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
I had issues in at least DP1-DP4, though I could never figure out whether it was related to my DAW or my audio interface. In DP5 things seem to work so far.

Interface: SPL Crimson (via Core audio)
DAW: Reason 7/8 (tested with 7, upgraded to 8) and Bitwig 8-track.
Running on a 2012 MBPr.

In DP4 and below Reason 7.1.x-8.3 crashed on start every single time. Bitwig 8-track occasionally couldn't see my interface and/or all the inputs (e.g. input 1-2 worked but not 3-6). I also had force quit Bitwig and it wouldn't restart unless I rebooted. iTunes crashed every now and then with external interface running (could be an unrelated crash though).

In DP5 Reason and interface seem to work so far. Haven't tested Bitwig. iTunes hasn't crashed yet either.

Ed Zappeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Yeah I was getting Reason crashes previously although Ableton is (kind of) working OK. I'm getting noting through the Fast Track though regardless of DAAW or iTunes, YouTube etc.

Not sure which DP I'm on but I'll take a look and see if the update doe s the trick.

Thanks for your input. :)

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Still problems for my USB Headset in Public Beta 3. Works for 3-5 minutes then silence. Microphone continues to work interestingly. Just gotta wait it out...

Ed Zappeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Had tow updates since I posted this originally... the update: Fast Track Pro now completely absent from the list of connected audio decides. It's getting worse not better!

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
Fast Track Pro: Still no audio on DP7. Device is seen in System Information > USB but not visible in audio device list. The F.T.P. preference panel says "device not connected." System.log doesn't show anything when connecting/disconnecting.

Reactions: lalolanda49

Ed Zappeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Thankfully, I've got half decent earphones! :) Wish they'd sort this out though.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
It seems there is no definite driver support for anything other than the Intel USB devices for now. My monitor has the Asmedia chipset and there are all sort of issues.

Just a matter of waiting it out until there is support.

sibelius101

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
I had the same problem. I fixed it by going to Audio-Midi Setup {in the utilities folder) and setting the output there.

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
Developer Preview 8 and still no sound from Fast Track Pro. Not showing in audio preference panel. Shown in USB device list. Same as previous DP.

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
I found a thread where someone had gotten Fast Track Pro to work with El Capitan by copying the M-Audio kext from /System/Library/Extensions to /Library/Extensions, fixing permissions, then rebooting. Tried it out and it didn't initially work, but somehow the next day "FastTrack Pro" had appeared as an input/output device overnight. I did delete the kext from /System/Library/Extensions. The Preference Panel says "driver not installed" — yet I have sound. Try it out. http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2299331&postcount=18

Audio setup.png Kext info.png

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Tried everything suggested but no luck, any other work-arounds so far? Unbelievable Avid at this point hasn't even come up with a fix/driver.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
There are no official drivers from Avid for the is device to work on El Cap. Who knows if/when Avid will update them. Better off getting a different interface. Avid is notorious for being slow to update drivers. You'd think they'd at least say whether or not they will support this device any longer, however that is not the case.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Anyone able to confirm if this is fixed with 10.11.4 update? Thanks in advance.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Avid has abandoned support for the Fast Track Pro. Many peeps have already jumped ship and moved on to something else. Only way you'll get it to work is to partition your HD and put on a version of OS X that will support the interface.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Tried both Apple feedback and Avid's support mail already, no answer either. Taken from Avid's web:
  • Note that Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified
"qualified" (?) lol.

1MB driver update, once a year.

Impressive service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.