External Backup Scheme with Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bmwpowere36m3, Dec 2, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2007
    I have a 500GB external HD that I've used with my old MBP and now I'm questioning whats the best scheme for backing up my MBP HD. I was thinking:

• Partition 1: Bootable OS X (with nothing, like factory install), to use in troubleshooting if my MBP dies.
    • Partition 2: Use Time Machine or CCC to backup all files

I don't know the pros or cons of using TM vs. CCC. Some help would be appreciated. If I did decide to create a bootable partition, what size would it need to be (blank OS X Lion). Thanks.
  2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    CCC can make a bootable backup of your entire drive, including user data, apps, operating system, etc. TM cannot make bootable backups.
  3. macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    I see no reason to create 2 partitions. The time machine backup files just exist in a hidden folder on your normal-formated external disk that can still be used any way you like.

Just format the drive normally with 1 partition, install a bootable OS X on it, and then when you're asked if you want to use that drive as your time machine backup drive simply click "yes".
  4. macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2011
    Multiple backup strategies are always good. As well as multiple external drives that get rotated in/out.

I am just using time machine right now but rotating multiple drives in and out. Periodically I erase the current time machine backup partition thus forcing a new complete time machine backup.