External burner problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by bennetsaysargh, Apr 15, 2003.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

ever since 10.2.5, my burner hasn't been showing up in toast, finder, iTunes, or anything! i don't know what it could be so any help would be apreciated.

thanks in advance!

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Perhaps you should mention both the name of the burner (brand, speeds, etc.) and all connections you tried in order to get it to work BEFORE you wait for a reply.

FYI: It's like calling up a repair shop and asking to have your TV fixed, but you don't give the name or model.

Is this a CD-RW or DVD-Rx?? Since you mentioned iTunes I'm venturing to say this is a CD-RW.

Is the CD-RW from a compatible name brand OS X recognizes? Read over this list to see if your burner is there.

Does your CD-RW have multiple connections (USB AND Firewire on the casing)? If so, try switching from one connection to the other (if you tried FW, try USB. Or do the reverse). Make sure the power is OFF when switching connections or you may destroy your burner and shut off your computer.

Have you also tried using different CDs or different cables? Also, check your Apple System Profiler to see if your computer recognizes it.

3. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

sorry i forgot

sorry i forgot abou those.
    400Mhz Slot Loading iMac

Lacie CDRW Drive (Firewire)
    32*40*10

System Profiler says none detected, and i tried anpother FW cable, and it didn't show up either.

again sorry for not typing in the other info because it was getting late, and i had school today.

4. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i also just tried using usb, but in apple system profiler, it says "Lacie Studio USB2".
    It's not showing up in any app, and it has worked before i installed 10.2.5

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

You could try a few techniques. The one I used was plug in the Firewire cord and start the CD-RW by holding the tray release button while I turned on the CD-RW. After 5 seconds I released. This popped the CD tray open. Then I tested the recognition by inserting an Audio CD and discovering whether or not iTunes and Toast saw it. Both apps were open at the time.

You may have to do this with your CD-RW. You may also have to try other techniques to get it to work. Be careful not to damage the hardware inside your CD-RW in the process.

6. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i can open it, it is just not being recognized by the comuter.

ps evanescence rules!

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Post your question provided by the other link in my signature (register first at TheTechPub before posting). The assistance you receive there is superior and is mostly done by someone usernamed "Akira". Make sure you list the following when reporting your question:
    >Computer model
    >Mention you have Mac OS X 10.2.5
    >CD-RW model and speeds, as well as the interface
    >What you have already tried

Also, try resetting the open firmware (Apple -- Option -- O -- F, then type in reset-all, all on computer startup).

Finally, make sure your firmware is also up to date. Apple will probably have an update available for your model machine on their site.

Do these first in case this does solve the problem. If they do not, visit TheTechPub and post there after registering.