External burner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Laure, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Laure macrumors member

I justgot an Acer external CD burner and I can't figure out how to install it. It comes with a cd but everything I click on doesn't start an installation process and of course the directions are for a PC any ideas????

2. danny_w macrumors 601

What kind of a burner is it? How does it connect? What kind of a system and what OS are you running? OS X 10.4.4 usually doesn't require any external drivers for a firewire drive (I'm using one with nothing added). A little information would be helpful.

EDIT: An Acer drive probably doesnt have any Mac installation or drivers on the CD. That's why clicking on thigs doesn't do anything. And as an aside, most Mac program install simply by dragging them to the application folder; very few actually come with an installer like they do in Windows.

3. Laure thread starter macrumors member

Ok, it sounds as though you may be able to help me. I am using a imac g3 (no internal burner) I run off of Panther. It is an Acer CDRW and I connected it to my computer via a USB cable. Does that help?

4. danny_w macrumors 601

Does System Profiler recognize the burner? What does it say? Unfortunately prior to 10.4.4 (Tiger) Apple always wanted you to buy their internal Superdrive burner, and generally would refuse to recognise the burning capabilities of an external burner, at least as far as built-in software was concerned. There is a utility called Patchburn that usually at least allows Finder and iTunes to work with an external burner; you might give that a try. Also 3rd party burning software such as Toast will generally work without the patch, but Toast is not a free program.

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Patchburn definately.
    download it, run it, reboot, and the writer should show up in iTunes, Finder etc..

6. Laure thread starter macrumors member

Ok I tried that. I ran patchwork and it said "no burner device found" and told me to check my connection. I checked and its plugged in to the mac and the power is plugged in, I even tried a new UBS just in case but it still isn't showing up, and ideas?

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

hmm.
    does the burner have it's own power supply? - i don't think the usb ports on the imac have enough power to run that kind of thing.
    Did you try both ports on the iMac (not the ones on the keyboard)?
    Is the Burner USB1 compatible? (the iMac G3 doesn't have USB2)
    Does anything show up in Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info.. > USB that's not your keyboard or mouse?