External Display for MacBook (Cinema or other brand?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by will0407, Nov 11, 2006.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

May 20, 2006
    I've got a Macbook, which I use at Uni. I'm looking into getting an external monitor for it, as I'd ike to have a bigger screen. I've got 3 questions, which I hope someone can help with:

1. What cable/connector will I need? I found a cheap VGA to DVI (i think) on ebay, but not sur if that's the right one. Will the cable I need differ depending on what brand of display I get?

2. I'm tempted to save up for a 20" apple cinema display, and then pay some money towards it as an Xmas present, although to be honest, I think they're pretty expensive. If I was to get one, it would probably be off ebay, so would be more in the region of 200-350 (not quite sure what they go for, but I know it'll be around those prices taking into account condition etc). Is it worth me paying more to get an apple branded display- i.e is it justifiable by picture quality etc.

3. What other displays or brands in general would you recommend? I'm looking to get a 17" or 20", but if it's bigger and the price is OK, then I'd consider it.

Any help would be great,
  2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    Most new LCD monitors have DVI ports, so you'll need a mini DVI to DVI adapter. My PB came with one but I guess they stopped giving them away with the Macbooks.

I bought a 19" Sceptre from Costco for $180. That's less than a third of the 20" ACD. I'm very happy with it. I'm doing a lot of photo work right now and it seems to be just fine. If you're doing work where the quality is what matters most, then and ACD would be a worthwhile investment, if not, then it's just an unnecessary expense.

When I was looking for a monitor, I did a lot of research online, then I went and looked at the actual displays. There's a lot of variability out there, so if at all possible, see what it looks like before you buy one.