External display for new MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ApplePu, Jul 24, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I'm currently looking for a 24" display for my new MBA.

The new thunderbolt display is really tempting, but the price is just too high and I need it soon.

So I'm looking for a display which fits my MBA nicely optically. Something that is slim and "airy" as well :D

Can anybody suggest a model that fits well? Thanx!

2. macrumors regular

Eggtastic

im in the same boat. i am looking into the dell ultrasharp displays. they are not "thin and airy" but to me, they are sleek and edgy. check out the dell website to see what i mean.

ive seen quite a few in peoples photos of their mac setup under the photo forum section. the monitor can also adjust to be swiveled to a portrait view, it also is great picture quality, and the 23" i am looking into is under 300.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

well such a dell is not exactly what I'm looking for.....

I'm thinking about an old 23" cinema hd display (the aluminium one) which would not be slim but would fit the style of the macbook air.

would that still be a nice display if I find a good one? what are the downsizes of the older cables that are going with it?

4. macrumors regular

The online Apple Store occasionally features refurbished 24" Cinema Displays. Not as cheap as a 3rd party alternative display, but still a very nice monitor & works well with the MBA.

You have to check the refurb pages pretty regularly in order to catch them though - they go *very* quickly.

Some people shy away from refurbs, but Apple offers a full warranty on them and I've had good experiences with the refurbed products I've purchased.

5. macrumors member

I have a dell myself, but i thought hp has some that could match in an optical way.

6. macrumors newbie

I don't think there is anything other than Apple displays that look in keeping with the Air/Alu Macbooks.

I'm in a similar predicament except that I don't intend paying for an Apple display, they are just too much for me to justify.

FWIW aesthetics aside, the Dell Ultrasharp displays are very nice. I have one at work which I went to after using a larger Dell Professional display, and the difference is night and day.

As it stands, I'm very tempted by a 22" or 23" Eizo, but I'd be interested to hear of anything cheaper that is of similar quality.

7. macrumors regular

I do wonder whther there will be new 24 monitors carrying the thunderbolt port at a decent price range...

8. macrumors member

No.

9. macrumors 65816

Muncher

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APX515CKT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I just bought a samsung 2333t for my mba. Pretty cheap for a pva screen and very high contrast for movies. Of course, I'm not doing any color accurate stuff

10. macrumors member

I've been eyeing up external screens too. I'm not too bothered about a thunderbolt monitor and I want to try and keep my spend to around £200 or under.

This is the one I'm looking at, the LG-E2260V. It looks pretty stylish and it is extremely svelte to match the MBA :D Plus, it's only £130.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E2260V-PN-LED-22-inch-Monitor/dp/B0042D5DG2

Has anyone else looked at this monitor or have any input on whether this would be a good purchase or not?

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking at that one a few minutes ago as well :D

I kind of fell in love with its bigger brother, the E2290V

http://www.lg.com/ch_de/it-produkte/monitore/LG-led-monitor-E2290V.jsp

I guess thinner is almost impossible :eek: it's a bit pricey though....

12. macrumors regular

I'm thinking about giving my wife my 2010 MBA and getting the new one. Will my apple display with display port adapter plug into the new thunderbolt port?

13. thread starter macrumors regular

Could somebody answer a question for me:

If I buy a display without internal speakers and I hook it up to my mba with a mini-displayport to hdmi adapter and then via hdmi to the display, will the sound be forwarded to the display so I can plug some speakers to the displays headphone port?

14. thread starter macrumors regular

After browsing through different stores I decided to get the

Acer S243HL

I've got a pretty good deal and I like it because it's slim and colored in black/silver. And it has some speakers integrated which is difficult to find in slim monitors.....

probably it's not the best display out there and generally I hate Acer but I like this one because it fits very nicely to my MBA.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

15. macrumors 6502

Has anyone been able to get the display port to hdmi adapter to work? I have an intermittent signal, I will get the screen for a short period then I get a black screen.

But the display to dvi & vga works perfectly...

16. macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

What has better image quality:

Dell UltraSharp

Or

New 27" Thunderbolt ACD

17. macrumors regular

If it's the dell 27 then probably not a lot in it as they are the same panel (at least the cinema one was)

18. macrumors regular

caligomez

Same here! I need to know if there may be problems with a Mini Display macbook (air or pro) and the new thunderbolt Cinema Display.. Are they compatible, or is that display only for thunderbolt machines?

19. macrumors regular

I've used a mini display port to VGA on a thunderbolt MacBook pro ok so I would say yes. however get someone in an apple store to hook one up for the ultimate test.

20. macrumors newbie

Anyone else having issues with their MBA displaying on a 24" properly?

I have recently purchased a HP LA2405wg (see reference below) that is capable of 1920 x 1200. I wanted that extra resolution that a 1080 cannot provide. When I connect my MBA via VGA to the monitor there is about a 4 inch column on the left side of the screen that is unusable (this is using the 1920x1080 display setting). Its just black and the mouse will not move into this area. Its like the graphics card is unable to display that resolution.

I know that the display properties says 1920 x 1080 but my white macbook I bought about a year ago displays the full 1920x1080 just fine on this monitor. I am a little miffed. Any suggestions other than return the monitor?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884470-3955381.html

21. macrumors 68030

Why not, the dell ultrasharps as a monitor are superior to the apple displays. Why would you discount a brand that has proven to be good in a certain arena? The dell 27 was rated substantially higher than the apple.. fwiw. More cables, sure.. but better quality image

22. macrumors 65816

Anyone know of a silver bezel monitor to match the MacBook Air?

23. thread starter macrumors regular

I did exchange the acer i mentioned above for this beauty:

http://www.lg.com/de/it-produkte/tft-led-monitore/LG-E2381VR.jsp

It's not exactly silver but it has a grey metallic-brushed surface...extremely nice to look at and it gives my desk this "airy" feeling I was looking for :D

24. macrumors 604

theSeb

My 24" ACD works perfectly with a 2011 MBA.

25. JoeMa, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

macrumors newbie

Cinema Display vs Thunderbolt Display

I purchased a new MBA last week and when I plugged in my sons 24" Cinema Display it worked but did not display at the native 1920 x 1200 but only displayed the native 1440 x 900 resoultion of the MBA.

So I called Apple and they said it should work but that the new Thunderbolt Display display at the native 2560 x 1600 resoltion.

He then pointed me to this spec sheet which confirms what he said: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP631

After you click the above link, scroll down to the section labeled Video Support and Camera where it states:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors.

Note that it does not say anything about it only supporting on the new Thunderbolt Display.

Back to my MBA, after a reboot the Cinema Display started at the native 1920 by 1200 resolution supported by the panel.