External displays for iBooks/PowerBooks?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macfan2004, Feb 25, 2004.

1. macfan2004 macrumors newbie

I'm new to this forum, and I've really enjoyed the postings and discussion -- lots of interesting information, analysis, tips, and rumors. And since I have a question, I thought folks here might be able to help. Here goes:

I've had a G3 for five years that's treated me really well, but I think it's time to get a portable Mac so I can take it to the corner coffee shops and on trips, etc. Most of the time I'll still be using my computer at home, at my desk, so I want a laptop that connects to a gorgeous kick-ass desktop display.

My two big reasons for preferring Macs are design and OS -- speed/performance isn't top priority for me -- so I'm thinking, for price reasons, of getting an iBook. (Also, a guy at the coffee shop told me he left his G3 iBook on the hood of his car once and it fell off when he drove away and it got run over by other cars and still worked fine afterward, which is a pretty good testament to its durability, if you ask me.)

Anyway, I'd love to get an Apple Cinema Display, but the iBook's display is VGA and not digital, which means I'd have to use another display with an iBook. So here are my questions:

1. Any recommendations on really cool-looking VGA flat-panel displays?

2. Any idea if Apple will upgrade the screen in the iBook to make the iBook compatible with Apple Cinema Displays?

3. Any news on upgrades to Apple Cinema Displays?

4. Should I just give up on the iBook and get a PowerBook instead to ensure I can get a gorgeous kick-ass Apple Cinema Display?

Lots of questions, I know. But I hope you guys can offer some help! Thanks in advance for your suggestions, and cheers.....

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No recommendations of sorts but two notes:

I'm pretty sure with the appropriate dongles and such that you can use the Apple displays with an iBook. I haven't actually looked it up but you might be able to. Obviously you can't send better than a VGA signal to your Apple Display since that's all the iBook will send but... yeah.

Second (and you didn't ask) there is a program called "Screen Spanning Doctor" that will enable you to do screen spanning instead of mirroring with the iBook if that suits you better. I've had it installed for a few months now and it works just fine.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I would get the PB, even the 12" flavor if you have a strong desire to use a 'kick-ass' display. My thinking is, you'll spend most if not all of the approx. $400 difference in price between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook on adapters to get from VGA -> DVI, then from DVI -> ADC to use one of Apple's sexy displays. For that kind of dough, I'd rather have a nicer computer than a bunch of adapters. In addition, the iBook, AFAIK, can only drive a monitor at 1024x768. If you're gonna blow your wad on a 'kick-ass' display you'll want to see things at more than 1024x768. At least I would.

Ordinarily I wouldn't reccomend the current PB offering over the very very nice G4 iBook, but in your case I'm making an exception since you have your heart set on a sexy Cinema Display. Get a 12" PB and a 20" CD to go with it. You'll be a happy camper for sure.

4. macfan2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you for the helpful advice. I might end up going with the PowerBook, as suggested, given my desire to have an Apple Cinema Display. I also hadn't thought about screen spanning vs. mirroring -- I can imagine wanting that!

Of course, my next question is whether I should wait for the next PowerBook upgrade so I can get the latest and greatest PB or, alternately, a current-generation PB at a reduced price....

And it leads to me wonder when Apple's gonna upgrade their Cinema Displays and how much they'll cost....

Sigh.... The questions never cease, do they?