External drive beeping?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by livingfortoday, Apr 30, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey, I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have a Rosewill RX30-U2FA external drive enclosure, and it will randomly make a really high-pitched beeping noise and I can't figure out why. I thought it was a heat warning at first, but it really seems to do it randomly, whether or not it's being used heavily or not.

I have the Rosewill RX30-U2 as well, the USB 2.0 one, and it's beeped at me once, but hasn't done it since.

Does anyone know how to disable this "feature", if that's what it is? I've checked their site and the manual, and can't seem to even find a mention of the beeping.

Edit: Oh, maybe it's the drive? Both enclosures have Maxtor Diamondmax drives in them (9 in one, 10 in the other), are THEY maybe beeping at me?

2. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Heh. Mine does that when the power cord starts to fall out slightly. All I do is make sure it's firmly in and it stops. The weight of the cord actually pulls mine out. Real shoddy build imo.

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

The USB one has a crummy power cord, but the FW one has a nice connector, and it's definitely not loose. That's the one that beeps at me the most, though, so I don't think it's a power cord problem.

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Mine beeps when it spins up after being asleep.

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Is the drive head ripping the track? Like the heads too close to the drive? This happens with a lot of scsi enclosures and the drive fails soon after.

6. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, this is random, not during any particular activity. Sometimes it'll beep when it's just sitting there idly, and sometimes when it's actively moving files about. The length of the beep also varies - sometimes it's a long, extended beep lasting 2 - 3 seconds, and other times it's a short warning-like beep.

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

HDD Failure

8. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

I thought so too, but the one drive (Maxtor Diamondmax 9) has been doing this for over a year now, and I just thought it was nuts until I got my new drive last week (a Diamondmax 10) and it's been screeching at me too! Is it the drives, then, and not the enclosures?

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I can honestly say it would ahve to be the drives, UNLESS the enclosures use metal fans that are hitting a metal boundary.