External Drive between a PC and Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prp134, Mar 13, 2007.

1. prp134 macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005

So Im reformattng my old external hard drive, it has a USB2.0 connection. So Im curious will I be able to share this with my pc and my new MacBook? oh yeah whats the difference between Core 2 Duo and Core Duo?
  2. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

Sep 17, 2005
    if you want to share it, I strongly suggest getting MacDrive from MediaFour

If you don't want to get that software, it is still possible, but the drive needs to be formatted Fat32.

The PeeCee drive default formatting is NTFS, and mac default is HFS. a PC can't read or write HFS, and a Mac can Read, but not write NTFS. both can read and write Fat32, but its not neccessarily the best option. Mac Drive lets you format the drive HFS, and your PC will read it. (it also lets your PC read a Mac formatted iPod, which is a plus)
  3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    MacFUSE from Google will allow writing to an NTFS-formatted partition. Write support is secure, but slow at this point. Your best bet is either FAT32 or HFS+ with MacDrive on the Windows side. HFS+ will come at a higher cost because you'd need to purchase MacDrive, but if you need support for Unix file permissions or files larger than 4GiB, HFS+ is the best option.