External drive for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MiserableTurnip, Aug 21, 2005.

1. MiserableTurnip macrumors newbie

Hiya :)

I can't help but feel that the 80 gig internal HD I have in my Mini is awfully slow, it's always doing something (at least it's making noise most of the time) and the beachball is spinning way too often. (I have 1 gig of RAM) Also while typing, it may take a while before my text appears on the screen, and during this the drive is making noise. :confused: (Oh, and I've tried all kinds of stuff to repair this problem, including a reformat and re-install)

So, I've been looking at the 250 gig LaCie d2 Extreme, which is about 215 euros... 7200 rpm and 8 mb cache, do you reckon this will boost Mini's performance, is there some speed lost because of FW400? Or any other drive suggestions? :)

Cheers,
    Miserable Little Turnip

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Before shelling out for an external drive, you need to first get your mini checked out -- that sounds like a bad hard drive to me. There's really no reason for you to be getting the beachball during such simple tasks, and I don't know about anyone else, but my mini is quiet as a mouse. Get thee to an Apple Store!