External drive for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MiserableTurnip, Aug 21, 2005.

1. MiserableTurnip macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2005
    Hiya :)

I can't help but feel that the 80 gig internal HD I have in my Mini is awfully slow, it's always doing something (at least it's making noise most of the time) and the beachball is spinning way too often. (I have 1 gig of RAM) Also while typing, it may take a while before my text appears on the screen, and during this the drive is making noise. :confused: (Oh, and I've tried all kinds of stuff to repair this problem, including a reformat and re-install)

So, I've been looking at the 250 gig LaCie d2 Extreme, which is about 215 euros... 7200 rpm and 8 mb cache, do you reckon this will boost Mini's performance, is there some speed lost because of FW400? Or any other drive suggestions? :)

Miserable Little Turnip
  2. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    Before shelling out for an external drive, you need to first get your mini checked out -- that sounds like a bad hard drive to me. There's really no reason for you to be getting the beachball during such simple tasks, and I don't know about anyone else, but my mini is quiet as a mouse. Get thee to an Apple Store!