External Drive Lag & iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Drachen, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Drachen macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006
    I have music files on both my internal and external drives, and I notice an ugly lagging when songs are being read off the external if it hasn't been accessed recently. I've scored over the forums and searched for hours and haven't found any definitive conclusions to remedy this. Is there any way to keep the ext awake or am I doomed to succumb to the lag? I assume moving all my files onto the ext would make only the initial access a hesitant one, but I'd rather be rid of the lag altogether. Any suggestions?
  2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    Try turning off the "put my hard disks to sleep where possible" option in Energy pane of System Prefs. I don't know why this option is not a little more elaborate - e.g. time to spin down, specific for each disk etc. Is this something which Windows is better at? :p

Alternatively put all your music in one place. Though that will cause problems if you want to leave your external drive behind, for example.
  3. Drachen thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006
    Tried It

Was one of the first places I went, unfortunately, it's only for the internal drive.
    I agree with the consolidation of all music on one drive, it may be my only option. I'm gonna hold my breath and keep my fingers crossed little longer though. :D

Thanks for the swift reply, in any event.