External drive only?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PlaceofDis, Jan 13, 2005.

1. macrumors Core

Hello again everyone,

well my laptop hard drive is on the vere of dying, and im out of warranty
    i have a few options
    1. have apple install a new hard drive and pay huge amounts of money for it
    2. install a new hard drive of my own(too time consuming)
    3. use an external as my boot drive

i just want to be sure that i can use an external as my main boot drive through Firewire with no problems. I can deal with my laptop becoming a desktop until i can get a drive to put in there later on during the summer.

is there any problem using a Firewire external drive as your main/only drive?

thanks again everyone for your help

2. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    other than the fact your laptop is no longer as portable as i twas before i dont see any problem with that become the boot drive. but i would replace the internal one asap i think you will find using an external as a boot drive very inconvenient

3. thread starter macrumors Core

well i know its going to be inconvenient, and my laptop will now be a desktop until i can get a drive in there, probably mid-way through the semester or perhaps as late as the summer i will get a drive in there, but with time being a constraint and school issues pending, i figure i can use an external for now, plus then i will have that drive for backups once i get the new drive in the powerbook

i just wanted to be sure that OS X will have no problems being booted from the external

4. macrumors 68020

yippy

People boot off of Firewire drives all of the time, I don't see any problem at all. In fact, if you get a desktop external drive, they are often FASTER than the drive you had before, so you could see a performance increase.

5. thread starter macrumors Core

thank you very much for that reassurance, i just want to be sure that this will work with out a problem, i can live with the lack or portability for a few months no problem, sounds like i just need to find a drive for myself now

6. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    build one urself or get one from la cie or wiebetech

i know some ppl use their ipod to boot off, but then it really wasnt designed to do that so i wouldnt suggest that unless for a temp fix until you get a replacement

anyway what makes you think your laptop hard drive is dying

7. thread starter macrumors Core

ok well i got a drive, no problems there, just need to know how to make it my boot drive

the reasons i think the drive are dead can be found in these two threads

link

link

basically my powerbooks is having a hell of a time trying to read and write from the drive, its not totally dead and gone just yet, but i can tell that its on the vere of dying, it was having trouble playing a song in iTunes, it would take a while for it to read the info from the disk, and if i started up too many programs it would just stall out on me, nothing could be done with it

8. macrumors 68020

yippy

Use Carbon Copy cloner to clone your existing laptop drive to the external. You can find it here.