External drive question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jonat8, Jul 31, 2005.

1. jonat8 macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2004
    United Kingdom

I've got an external drive I use for downloading content to and most apps I use will download to there automatically.

I downloaded a file using Acquisition today and it all seemed to download fine, played in iTunes but then I realised it was set by default to go to my external hard drive which is not connected at the moment (away from home) so slightly confused as to how it could have saved the file I did Get Info and the location is "Macintosh HD:Volumes:Oleynik 1:file.abc" (my external drive is called Oleynik).

But if I go Show Song File, Finder activates but no window opens. I want to move this file to Macintosh HD (my Documents folder). How can I go about doing this?

And the other question is, will this "Oleynik 1" entry confuse my external hard drive when I get back home and plug it in?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Umm... Downloaded a file from Acquisition - not a cool start to a thread. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming it was all legal (if that's even possible).

Is iTunes set to automatically look after your music files and if so, I assume it does so on the internal drive, right? I would have thought the file, when played in iTunes, would have been copied across to the internal drive but that doesn't really make sense since I'm not sure how it downloaded in the first place and that still doesn't explain the "Get Info" page.

Does the track still work? Maybe navigate to where the file should be (in your music folder) and see if it's there anyway.

By the way, this is all assuming you let iTunes control where music kept.