External Drive Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danny_w, Jul 28, 2005.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I am looking for an external fw hard drive, and had just about decided on the LaCie d2 drive (either 160GB or 250GB) until I started reading so many complaints about LaCie drives recently. I was also considering the new LaCie mini external, since I have a mac mini. But all these posts have got me worried.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a solid prebuilt drive or a good (Oxford chipset) enclosure? I have an extra 160GB WD that I can put into it. Whatever drive or enclosure I get need to be bootable, and USB is an extra that I would probably never use. Reliability is the most important thing here.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well CompUSA has a sale on LaCie 250 GB for $169 after instant rebate. I have heard the most complaints about the 160 GB drive but very little about the 250s. Now my friend has both 160/250 with no problems but hey the price of the 250 just maybe to good to pass up :cool:
    You could try Maxtor as a sale is on that as well at Office Depot $200 for a 300GB "I THINK" not sure or yes you could put one together yourself but it's really up to you and cost wise I haven't looked into it very much.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I think you are talking about the L.A. Porche designed LaCie drives (the cheaper ones) that supposedly have a lot of compatability problems. I was talking about the d2 and mini drives, which I believe use the Oxford chipset (I think the Porche drives use something else).

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

5. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

I have a d2 drive on its way (the Big Disk 500GB). If you'd like a rather unscientific look, I can mention any hiccups I encounter.

-RS

6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I use a SimpleTech external HD w/Firewire & USB 2 connectivity.
    The primary use is intermittent backup so my overall time spent using it is less than others might use it for.
    I have been very happy with it thus far and would recommend it (as a single, unscientific sample).

I got it from Costco - link below. At the time I bought it, there was a $50 rebate so it was down to $130, which I thought was a good price. Unfortunately, I don't think they're having the rebate anymore right now. Here's the link to the Costco page (no vested interest). If you don't have a Costco membership, I think you pay a little more (not sure of the %) but I still think you can buy it.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=21388&hierPath=84*21388*

Good luck!

7. lost_mobius macrumors newbie

I have a d2 160GB and I use it for protools and video editing a good deal. The drive works great and comes with all the cables. I have had other drives, ubt they allo semmed cheap compared to the lacie. I am going to buy another one soon from lacie, they have good deals on there refurb stuff off their own site. The oxford chipset is a must have for any external drive IMHO.

8. joetronic macrumors 6502

I have a LaCie big drive, 1tb. i have been very happy with it.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

How is the 1Tb working for you? I have the d2 250Gb and a Maxtor 80Gb and both have performed well, but video files are making the big drive look more tempting and necessary.
    X