external drive won't mount via firewire, but USB OK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shantyfolk, May 20, 2006.

1. shantyfolk macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2006
    My eMac (1.25ghz, 10.4.6) wont mount my external drive via firewire. If I hook it up via USB all is cool, but I use my external as a bootable backup so I need firewire. I first found that I had problems when I set out to make a new backup, a process that i have done successfully many times before. I used CCC to make a bootable copy of the eMacs drive, then to be sure it is good I go to sys prefs , choose the clone as the startup disk, and restart. Always before, it would boot up just fine, but now it gets stuck on a grey screen with a spinning cog. I then have to hold down the power button to shut off the eMac, wait a few minutes until it is willing to turn on again, then it will turn on and boot from its internal just fine. After rebooting from the internal, I hooked up the external via firewire and it wont mount. Hooked it up via USB and it shows right up. I then tested the external drive by booting my iBook with it. The drive plays really nice with my iBook, it boots and mounts via either interface. The problem seems to lie in the eMac. Please advise...
  2. shantyfolk thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2006
    it works now

I zapped the PRAM, and repaired permissions on the external and now all is well.