External Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neffedo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. neffedo macrumors member

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    I was thinking of buying an external firewire drive for video editing (for a class) and to use for my music files. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas as to which size, company, etc. I should look into. Price range from $200 - $350.
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....you should really search the forum (this one and the "product recommendation/review" one) as there has been numerous threads about external firewire drives in the last few weeks already.....oh yeah!
  3. raynegus macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
    My vote goes for a Lacie d2. These things are reliable tanks. Get as big as you can afford. Since you are a student, you may be able to get them a little cheaper here:

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    If you want more for your money, try OWC. They have options ranging from Firewire 400 only to Firewire 400/800 + USB2. I know many people with their Firewire drives (including myself) who are all very pleased. They have excellent tech support, low prices and cheap shipping. Their drives have also always been ranked as some of the fastest by third-parties. What more can you ask for?