External drives..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thejadedmonkey, Mar 21, 2007.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have 3 computers I'm in the process of getting rid of.. and all 3 have hard drives full of crap. I'm looking to get an external one to dump everything onto. Does it matter if I get an IDE or SATA internal interface? Will I ever notice the speed difference? Is there any one company that I should get over another one?

I was looking at getting this, with this drive.. but should I be concerned that it's not an SATA drive?

k thanks:)

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you look at the enclosure page, it has a combo deal with a 250 gb hard drive (looks like the same as yours only different capacity), and that drive is an ultra ata. so i think you're good.

3. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

There's also a combo deal with this drive;)
    Hardware wise though, is it all descent quality? I just don't wanna be kicking myself in a few months because it can't do *insert something here* and I don't have the money to get more hardware..

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Go with a firewire 800 drive, you will be amazed on how fast it is. The speed wont matter much if you copy files when you sleep or when your watching a movie, the only time i found that i need the extra speed is when i need to put large amount of info on my HD fast.

5. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

I'd get an SATA drive in the event you want to eventually install it internally on another computer or for eSATA.

6. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll probably never have another desktop again.. having said that, would you still recomend SATA? If so, could you recomend a good SATA enclosure with firewire 800?

k, thanks :)