External DVD Burner. Which one works with a G4???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by redAPPLE, Nov 19, 2003.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hello.

does anyone know, which external dvd burner would work with dvd studio pro and/or iDvd?

would installing a dvr-a05 (i think this is the latest "superdrive") in a 400 mhz g4 work?

would burning a dvd with a 400 mhz work "well"??

thanks.

2. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

No external works with iDVD. There are/were various hacks floating about to remedy that, but the easy answer is that iDVD requires an internal Apple Superdrive. (You can also install an aftermarket Pioneer 103, 104, 105, or 106 drive, or one of the other drives Apple has used, like Sony or (I believe) Hitachi.)

As for what externals DVD Studio Pro supports, the real answer is, "Any DVD burner that Toast supports" since you can create the projects in DVDSP and then burn them with Toast. According to the Spec Sheet for DVDSP only the Apple SuperDrive and Pioneer DVR-S201 are supported, but I believe that to be erroneous.

400MHz is fine for burning DVD's. I assume your real question is in regards to encoding video for DVD's.. and THAT would be painfully slow on a 400MHz G4. As long as you are patient, though, the results would be the same if you had a dual 2GHz G5 or a G4 400.

3. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

thanks for the insight indygopher. now i am wiser.