External DVD Drive Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bluecabochon, Jan 21, 2007.

1. bluecabochon macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2006
    I have a new 24" Intel DuoCore iMac. (Love it!) I have a growing collection of UK Region 2 DVDs. Used up 2 of my 5 switches testing them out, then tried VLC player, which worked for a while, but quit after I played a Region 1 DVD. Can't get it to work, and eh, whatever. I am leaning toward getting an external DVD drive that would be dedicated to the Region 2 DVDs only as I still want to be able to play my larger collection of Region 1 DVDs as I work and I'll use the built in DVD player for that.

I'm a little confused as to exactly what kind of external drive I should be looking for. Firewire or USB? Is it a burner as well? Do I need that? I don't want to spend very much but I don't want to damage the DVDs and I want them to look good on my screen.

I've been looking at Region-Free DVD players for the TV but they look a lot more expensive and besides, I already have a decent DVD player. When that dies, I'll get a region-free player, but it's newish, so....

If anyone can point me in the right direction, and suggest a brand that is reputable, I'd be mighty grateful. :)
  2. gkarris macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Go to Walmart or Target, get a cheap DVD player, and put the region unlock code in:

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    For the computer you're going to want a Firewire DVD drive. Basically no one sells a non-dvd burner, since they're so ridiculously cheap to begin with. Assuming that you are in the US, OWC sells some external DVD burners for about $100 (link).
  4. bluecabochon thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2006
    Thanks, guys. I'm near a Target and I see that they have some models that might work. I actually want both options so thanks too for the link to the Drive.

5. katie4242 macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2007
    My external dvd player (Lacie) is no longer "on"

though it is hooked up properly. I have a Power Mac G4 and I went to burn a cd and the power light doesn't show up. I double checked the connections and they were fine. I have OS 10.2.

Any suggestions?