External DVD drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by thequicksilver, Dec 28, 2004.

1. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I'm in England and am on the lookout for an external DVD writer for use with both my iBook (see sig) and my PC. Though I'd prefer Firewire, I'm seeing that practically all of the ones in my budget (more or less £70 give or take a few quid) are USB2 models.

Does anyone here have any experience with any USB2 DVD writers, and if so, how well do they behave with OS X? I know my iBook is supported and stuff for USB2, but I've read a few scare stories suggesting that it's nowhere near as stable/fast/life defining (that last one's maybe taking it a bit far) as a Firewire drive. Some reassurance would be useful.

And if you've any links for decent Firewire ones, please let me know.

Many thanks. :)

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have a USB2 DVD wrihter and i never had any problems with it, might be a few cases or bad drives, i think you should buy a LaCie since they have great support for macs.

3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Have you checked out Plextor? I'm not sure if they offer any external USB2.0 burners, but I know they make firewire. The reason I recommend them is that they just released their new 16x burner, so the 8x and 12x should have seen a price drop. I think if you check eBay, you can find the 8x for a little under $100, and the 12x for around $150. Could you maybe tell us how much you're planning on spending? This'll help us come up with hardware in your price range.

4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Another place I just found is eFonya's eBay Store. I've never used an eBay Store before, and I'm not quite sure how they work, but she has tons of USB 2.0 burners for less than $100. Her seller feedback is also good, with only 1 negative out of 312 total reviews. Good luck! :D

5. thequicksilver thread starter macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Thanks for the suggestion, but please re-read my opening statement. I'm in England and am looking to spend £70.

You lot in the US get things much cheaper than us I'm afraid. :(

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, you could try the refurbs on the LaCie site as well, they go from $100-150 the last time I looked. I was thinking about getting one also. :p
    Sorry didn't see the "I'm in England and am looking to spend £70".

7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Ahh... Sorry for not seeing that... Welcome to me in the morning! :D Did you check out the eBay store? 'Cause £70 is approximately $120-$130, isn't it? That would at least cover the cost of the burner plus shipping and handling. Perhaps my math is wrong.. It's entirely possible this early :eek:

8. thequicksilver thread starter macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

No problems. :)

To be honest, I'm more inclined to stick with a UK retailer due to cheaper potential return prices, warranty and such things, though I'll keep my eyes peeled for good sellers in the US. Thanks for the heads up.