External DVD writer/player trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rorymilli, Sep 17, 2006.

1. rorymilli macrumors member

Hello There, I have an iMac Dv SE G3 CRT 600Mhz, 640 SDRAM, 60Gb hard drive with a CD-RW. I wanted to be able to play/write DVD's so I bought a Pikaone Classic DVD+-RW that is supposed to do all that. I am using a firewire connection which works fine. It plays music CDs etc but if I put a DVD in it Mounts but when I click on it it opens as a load of files instead of a film (Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights !!). There were three CDs came with the Pikaone, the one with the pikaone label has manuals on it, there is a Nero OEM suite (which I gather is for PC and a Cyberlink Multimedia pack with Power DVD, Power Producer, and Media Show. These appear to be for PC as well (although the box says the player is for PC and Mac). When I looked in Machelp it told me to go to System preferences and click CD/DVD and open DVD player. I did this but I got a message saying it can't find DVD player. What do I do? Thanks

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You've probably solved the problem by now, but thought I'd answer just the same.

It looks like you need to load DVD Player onto your computer. Are you running OS9 or OSX? The Apple Support section has quite a bit of info on OS9 and using DVD Player.

I had an iMac DV 400 mhz and bought a LaCie CD burner/DVD player and got it to work just fine under OSX.