External DVD writer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Pixels, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Pixels macrumors newbie

Anyone with recomendations for an external (via Firewire) DVD writer to attach to my G4 (miiror doors) running 10.3 ?

I notice that Apple only seems to support DVD-R discs - would this still be the case if I bought an external drive and using Toast ?

I take it these external drives are not region specific and can read any DVDs as well as write them ?

2. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Region function only comes into play with commercial DVDs -- and there are ways around that, as well.

I own a LaCie FW DVD burner and am extremely happy with it. It is daisy chained into a LaCie FW external hard drive. I also have a LaCie external CD burner, as well. So I guess you could say I highly recommend them.

I use Toast -- but be aware that the new iDVD supports external drives. In fact, on the Apple discussion boards someone asked about this, and someone from LaCie posted to confirm that their DVD burner would work with the new iDVD. So I'm looking forward to playing with the new iDVD once my mini arrives.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Also the new iDVD is supposed to support DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, AND DVD+RW!

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

It's cheaper to buy an enclosure, and a oem dvd burner. they're really easy to put together too, but beware, iDVD compatibility isn't there with '04, and I don't know for sure about '05.

5. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

You know you can just add a second drive internally...did this on my MDD DP867 and it's pretty sweet. Wasn't that hard to do either.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

What unit did you buy for your G4 tower - I've been meaning to pop one of them in, but want something that will slide right in and just work!

7. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I'm quite sure all drives are of a uniform shape. So it won't matter which brand you do buy. But, Pioneer drives will be compatible with the iApps out of the box I'm quite sure. If you were to get say a NEC or LG burner, they may not work with the iApps, for instance my ext. DVD burner works in iTunes, but not in iDVD, and on my Mom's computer I put a LiteOn CD-RW in her B&W and it doesn't work in iTunes. But in both cases, both drives work flawlessly with Toast.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Great, thanks! :D

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Use a program called PatchBurn. Find the info at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ in their drive compatability database to see which drives work.