External DVD Writers......and iDVD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by davebl, Nov 2, 2003.

1. macrumors member

So I can't afford to put a superdrive in every mac I own, so I have the idea of buying one external one and sharing it with all of my macs, and yes, a dreaded pc.

Now correct me if I am wrong but the superdrive apples uses is a Pioneer DVR-A04/104. Pioneer now has out their DVR-A06/106 which is a multi-format writer.

My idea: obtain a new 106 writer, and put it in an external firewire case and use it on all my machines.

I know that Toast will work with it (or so I hope) but what about iDVD. My local Apple Sales Consultant tells me that iDVD will only recognize it if the dvd writer is a) internal and b)in a certain logical position (only on some models).

does anyone have any light that they can shed on this subject?

2. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Re: External DVD Writers......and iDVD

iDVD does not burn to external drives.

Lethal

3. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Musty be internal, and must, at the very least, be the same model as Apple branded drives.

4. macrumors 68000

5300cs

Are the internal ones expensive in the US? I went around here looking for one, and no one had one- NO ONE. I went to literally 7 different stores and not one place had superdrives. Apparently it had something to do with all the superdrives being updated amd the stores were waiting for new shippments and/or because the G5 was out. :confused: I was going to buy an external as well, but lucked out finding a 104 on auction for around $200 (¥25000.)

edit: Oh yeah, I remember when I put the superdrive in my MDD PowerMac, it wouldn't open properly because the face plate was bumping up against the frame, so I pulled it (the face plate) off, and now it works fine :D