External Enclosure Advice for DVD Writer / Burner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by agentbob, Sep 24, 2005.

1. agentbob macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Tried posting in another thread but got no response so trying to open a new one.

I'm looking to buy an external enclosure + dvd-r for my macs. I've currently got a tibook 667 and an iMac g5... I've had trouble in the past with an LG drive in no-name enclosure...

The macs I tried it on would see it as a dvd/cd reader, but wouldn't burn to it using patchburn nor toast. It also wouldn't boot off cds/dvds sometimes.

The new drive I'm thinking to get will be a pioneer. I'm just wondering what models/brands of enclosures people have had success with, and also if pioneer drives work fine as well.

Thanks,

Dan

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

How much is the drive your looking at and do you have software like Toast for the burner? Also do you have a FW cable?

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10423

This is what I have and I don't need Patchburn as it comes with software that sees the iLife apps. just fine.

3. agentbob thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive is cheap, $60 CAD for the Pioneer 110D 16x DVD-R drive, and enclosures are around $40-50. The Lacie drive on the other hand is $140 CAD and only 8x.

Thinking about getting a simple firewire case with an oxford 911 chipset and putting the Pioneer 110D in there... any thoughts or people with a similar setup?

4. ammon macrumors regular

I have a cheap Bytecc external case. (Oxford 911 chipset) It has both firewire and usb2. I put a harddrive in one and a Lite-On DVD burner in the other.

Both work great for windows and mac.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

They must give a different drive then :confused: Mine burns at 16x and DL at 6x but hell that's a great price in Can. money for you ;)