External Enclosure + Internal Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SpAtZ, Jun 14, 2006.

1. SpAtZ macrumors regular

I just got a Macally fire wire enclosure and a Seagate 300 GB Ultra Internal ATA/100 Hard Drive. I assembled them according to the directions, but when I connect the firewire to my computer it is not detected. I was a little confused during the assembly whether or not I needed to set it as a slave or master. The directions said to set it as a master, but I think it should be a slave according to Seagates directions. I am not using it to boot off, just for extra space. Does the detection of the drive have anything to do with being a slave or master? Or did I do something else wrong?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It needs to be set as Master.

Make sure the connectors are all seated properly. And make sure it (the HD) gets power.

And how are you "detecting" it? Are you using Disk Utility/System Profiler, or are you expecting it to just mount on the Desktop?

3. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

I was using disk utility. I am gona open it up to recheck the connections. I had to give it a bit of a push to get the wires to fit under the case that slides over it.

Edit: Do I need any drivers. In system profiler it says under firewire "unknown device."

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nope, no drivers. At least there shouldn't be.

Got any other FW devices to check and make sure the FWport is working correctly? Got another Mac (or PC with IEEE1394) to try and plug the new drive into?

Using the FW cable that came with the enclosure? You may have to consider that the enclosure is FUBAR out of the box.

5. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

Cable is working fine tested it on an external burner.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Options narrowing...

PMU reset:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Logging in as another user to make sure it's not your current user's problem. (highly unlikely scenario)

Beyond that, you need to eliminate suspects, which means you need another Mac/PC to see if the enclosure works or not.

7. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

Solved: I went to pick it up and I heard something shake. I realized it was the tiny taped down packet of silicon that I was meaning to take out(It was taped against the corner). That made the cables fit poorly when I screwed down the Hard Drive.

Once it was detected it gave me some warning that it was unreadable and opened up disk utility. What do I do from here? It is not on the Desktop or in the Finder.

Edit: O and why would it be missing 21GB?

8. idkfa macrumors regular

I used to know the reason, but it evades me at this time.

I know that is normal. The external HD in my sig only allows me around 55 GB of space.

9. kewpid macrumors regular

300 Gigabytes = 300,000,000,000 bytes

A gigabyte is literally a billion bytes, but computers don't think in terms of base 10. They are binary (base 2) creatures. For computers a gigabyte is 2^30=1,073,741,824 bytes.

So, 300,000,000,000/1,073,741,824 = 279.4 GB

There is your "missing 21GB" :)

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You format it (erase tab) in Disk Utility.

And kewpid clued you in on why..