external enclosure or hd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jer446, Nov 19, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I would like to get an external hd of some sort to store tons of movies on.. on black friday, there will be several good deals on large hd's, so my question is which should i get, a normal external hd or is an external enclosure with liike a 250gb hd inside of it just as good?

2. ghostee macrumors 6502

I've heard good things about some of the Lacie drives if you're looking for a boxed solution, but I'm rather partial to buying the enclosure and drive seperately. Reason being, you can pick the enclosure look/features that you want, get any sized drive you could want, and spend less than buying a boxed external.

I have this enclosure from Macally, partnered with a 200gig Maxtor (meh) drive and I'm very happy with it. It looks good (aluminum colored with a blue led) and hasn't caused me any problems. The Maxtor is a little loud, but it was really cheap, so it's worth it IMHO.

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excuse my ignorance, i never thought bout it before even though i used to build computers all the time.. 3.5 inch is standard desktop hd right? Also, will this work with windows as well>? I have both windows and mac computers, it would be a plus if i could attatch it to both..

4. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Which store(s) are having the sales on HD's? How good is the sale price?

5. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Yea, 3.5 is the standard desktop size.
    Go with the hdd and an enclosure, not only is it cheaper
    but it is a far better solution for upgrading in the future.
    Just format the hdd to fat32 and both mac/pc will be able to use it.

6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

correct me if i am wrong, but i heard that the lacie drives will sleep and power on with your computer. is this true?