External (F/W) HD: Boot/Storage with a mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fleetwood Mac, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I've had my Mac mini since spring and its working very well for me. Before I got it though, I had a beige G3 (System 8.6) and I'm still not quite used to the insane amount of space everything takes up in OS X. Currently, I have the interal 60gb and an external 80gb in a MobilDisk USB enclosure. I'm looking to buy a much larger external f/w drive and potentionally boot of it to maximize benifits. What would you guys suggest in the way of 250gb+? I'm in Vancouver, Canada and with the holidays coming; looking for something on the cheap.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. Modjo macrumors member

I think this product will suit all your needs. http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10813

320Gb, FiWi (so bootable), fits perfectly under your Mini, acts as a USB hub too , 7200RPM, pre-hfs+ formatted, ... and i don't think it's that expensive.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

4. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Thanks Modjo and livingfortoday!! Do you think either of these products might be carried at a local or chain of computer shops? I knows its cliche these days, but I'm still a little wary about buying online.

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I know that CompUSA has some variations on the MiniStack. (different brand, same overall design, though)