External Firelite HD Not Being Recgonized

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikeyPotg, Feb 20, 2007.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Hey folks,

I have an external Firelite HD that I've used many times in the past, however, when I connected it today it is not giving me an icon to read it on the desktop. When I checked via the system profiler, the computer recognizes that the drive is connected through the firewire, however, I have no idea how to use it.

I've tried on windows and I get the same thing. It's recognized, but I have no way of using it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, either through a post here and/or a PM.

Thanks a lot!
    Mike

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, open Disk Utility and try to mount the disk from there. If that fails, or the mount button isn't available when you select the disk, try verifying it. If the verifier reports errors, repair the disk.

Should that fail, or report that "The underlying task reported an error on exit", your disk has suffered filesystem damage that Disk Utility cannot repair. Your best bet is to either use a third-party disk recovery program or just reformat the disk.

3. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much! Unforunately, I had to format the drive, but now it seems to be working.
    Though, the first time I unmounted it and reconnected it, it didn't read it right away. I had to go through the Disk Utility again and then it read it right after. I hope that was just a one time thing.

Thanks again!
    Mike