Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
ok, so i have a hard drive from my old g4 that i want to use with my g5... where is a good place to look for external cases (firewire 400 probably is good enough, but 800 could be ok if the price is right...)? what is there to look out for? etc

thanks in advance for any help

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i have a bad experience with orange micro.. hah

but i also should've been more clear... i understand what i'm looking for... ie, a drive like the one you pointed out

what i'm curious about is recommendations and experiences people have had... and also good places to get them for relatively cheap

for instance, this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5350&Item=OWCMEFWATA6

80 bucks seems ok to me. but i'm sure there are cheaper... then again, i don't want to get something that will short out on me... hah

Souljas

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
has anyone or does anyone know if it is possible to buy a external FW400 HD, and then take out the exising hard drive and replace it with a bigger one?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Souljas
has anyone or does anyone know if it is possible to buy a external FW400 HD, and then take out the exising hard drive and replace it with a bigger one?

i don't see why not... why would you do that though?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Granite Digital

These guys are top notch. They've been a favorite in editing circles for years and their customer service is great. I bought an enclosure from them and it arrived DOA. They overnighted me a replacement at no charge. That was 8 or 10 months ago and everything has been great. I wouldn't definetly buy from them again (even if the website is kinda dated looking).

Lethal

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Granite Digital

These guys are top notch. They've been a favorite in editing circles for years and their customer service is great. I bought an enclosure from them and it arrived DOA. They overnighted me a replacement at no charge. That was 8 or 10 months ago and everything has been great. I wouldn't definetly buy from them again (even if the website is kinda dated looking).

Lethal

I'll second that about Granite Digital. I've got one of their FireVue hot swap cases. It's nice because it makes things pretty portable, and you can add drives to it without paying for the whole case. They're a little more expensive, but if you think you'll need to keep expanding your storage, it's great.

cpjakes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.