External Firewire DVD drive recommendations sought

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Naimfan, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003

My son's 1GHz eMac's combo drive appears to have failed. I contacted a couple places to get an estimate on replacing it, and nearly choked. . .

So I'm in the market for an external Firewire DVD drive. If it is a burner, fine, if it is just a combo and (substantially) cheaper, that's also fine.

I've had good luck with LaCie and am inclined to go with this one:

Are there any reasons not to get this one or to get a different LaCie? Cheaper is generally better (I know, hard to believe with LaCie), but if there is a good reason to spend more I will.

Thanks in advance!

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    is your son's emac out of warranty? if so, you might consider replacing it yourself, for just the cost of the drive (around $50 for a pioneer 109 or 110 [109 is what's in current emacs; 110 is its replacement]) otherwise i'd recommend getting one of the aforementioned drives and a firewire case and building it yourself. you could get the parts at http://www.newegg.com. lightscribe drives are really cool, but a lacie drive (the only mac-compatible lightscribe drive i know of) would be fairly expensive.
    edit: your link redirects to the place's homepage.
  3. zakatov macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2005
    South Florida
    You can always just buy an internal DVD burner and a 3.5in FW enclosure and put one in the other. A lot cheaper, though not as pretty as native external burners.