External Firewire Error when Copying

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Landshark, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Landshark macrumors newbie

Iam having a problem moving large files to an external 200GB FW drive from my powerbook (1ghz) internal drive and iam getting a "The operation cannot be completed because some data cannot be read or written. (error code -36)".

The drive iam trying to move to is a 200GB External FW that is daisy chained through a 120GB FW drive and then to my PB... It tells me i have 60GB available on the 200GB (the total i think was 180GB after formatting) I seem to recall that there is a size limit on the sizes of FW drives for the Mac... is this what iam running into?

Iam able to move files to the 120 no problem.. but i have no space left on it and i need to move 15GB over to the 200GB drive ASAP.

I have also tried deleting stuff to see if a limit was imposed but it didn't work either... i have almost 100GB available but iam unable to copy a file within the drive itself or to the drive from the PB drive... i have no idea what is going on but this setup works on my office workstation but this drive has been nothing but a problem since i have been using it on the road with my PowerBook.... i did get small files.. 1-2k to copy but i have 10-50gb i need to copy over/from and to it...

Iam using 10.2.3 on a Powerbook 1GHZ with 1GB Ram....

Thanks in Advance

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Please correct me if I am wrong, but there is a 180 GB size limit on IDE drives in a Mac. But people said that with a Firewire drive that shouldn't be a problem, although it's only a bridged IDE drive.

I guess my recommendation is to reformat with 2 100GB partitions.