External Firewire HD woes, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jackonicko, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Jackonicko macrumors newbie

May 10, 2002
    High Key to Hades
    A VST Smartdisk Firewire HD (FWFH60, s/n 1113600710) has just started making clonking noises and failing to show up on the desk top on OS X.3.

I've tried it on three machines, and the same thing happens each time, loud clicking as the HDD tries to spin up.

Is there any realistic prospect of being able to recover the data off this at reasonable cost here in the UK?

Any recommendations as to who to talk to?
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    I can't answer your question. however, I can say, I would verify that the drive is ok by putting in another enclosure or an actually mac. this would verify if something went bad in your enclosure. If that doesn't work stop trying to spin up the drive as you make it hard and harder to recover your data.
  3. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    If it's clonking and not mounting on computers, you're already past the point where you might be able to get data off the drive yourself. Professional data recovery is VERY EXPENSIVE no matter where you live, so unless this is valuable, irreplaceable business data, I'd suggest you just have a good cry, chalk this one up to experience, and back up your data from now on.

EDIT: Of course, what do I know, you might be rich as hell and looking for a way to spend money, in which case, go for the gold and send that drive to a data recovery place. You'll be burning cash in no time!
  4. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    bad firmware on the enclosure can cause those issues.
  5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I had an external HD that was clicky and not showing up. As a last resort, I put it in the freezer overnight and tried again the next morning. I got most of my stuff off.
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The problem might be the drive, might be the firmware and might be the powersupply. You can pull the drive out of the case and install it temporarily in a tower Mac with an IDE connector (a G4 tower is darned handy to have around in these cases). You will usually have to jumper it as a Slave drive. IF the drive will spin up, recover your data.
  7. annk Administrator

Staff Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What on earth made you think of putting it in the freezer???:eek:
  8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    That's a pretty well-known technique. It doesn't save the drive, but it usually gives you a little extra time to extract your data.
  9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    cold makes metal contract.
    squeaking = metal arm is touching platter

arm contracts, no touch platter

It worked for me. :D:D