Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Is it possible to create an external firewire 2 drive mirror (say with the Mac Mini, which has only 1 firewire port that I can bridge from one enclosure to the next)?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
ShadowHunter said:
Is it possible to create an external firewire 2 drive mirror (say with the Mac Mini, which has only 1 firewire port that I can bridge from one enclosure to the next)?

-ShadowHunter

Um, well yeah - kinda. If you have two identical physical volumes external, yes - set that in the Disk Utility. As for Mirrorin and internal drive with an external. To be honest - never thought of it, so I don't know.

wooweebob

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2005
Silicon Valley
Not only is it possible. I have been doing this for almost 3 years on my iMac G4. However there are the following restrictions.
  • The volumes must be identicle in size
  • You cannot mirror the internal hard drive
What I did was buy 2 of the exact same hard drive then used Disk Tools to create the RAID.
I also moved my home directory to the RAID but that is another tip.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
wooweebob said:
Not only is it possible. I have been doing this for almost 3 years on my iMac G4. However there are the following restrictions.
  • The volumes must be identicle in size
  • You cannot mirror the internal hard drive
What I did was buy 2 of the exact same hard drive then used Disk Tools to create the RAID.
I also moved my home directory to the RAID but that is another tip.

Excellent, thank you both for your help.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
RAID 0 will get you a single larger volume .The speed benefit of striping will be largely lost due to the bottleneck of both drives contending for the single FW400 buss. Barefeats.com shows significantly higher throughput when the drives are on separate Firewire controllers, such as a PCI card in a tower, or a PCMCIA firewire card in a Powerbook -- neither of which are options on a Mini.

RAID 1 (mirroring) is a good strategy for security, but RAID 0 for speed may have little or no practical advantage for speed, as the overhead of RAID processing, the bottlenecks of FW400 and of having the two drives on one controller, my outweigh the speed advantage for normal desktop use. Storagereview.com recommends RAID for multiuser servers and for huge-file use like video or audio capture only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.