External FW drive not mounting

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by chipchen, May 6, 2003.

1. chipchen macrumors 6502

so.. I built myself an external hard drive... FW case and spare 20GB hard drive which was lying around. I formatted it NTFS via my PC and put it in there... works flawlessly on my PC.

however, when I plug it into my mac.. it says it needs to be initialized... i thought Macs mounted all PC volumes? No? Should I format Fat32 instead? It needs to go cross platform.

2. keithcobbett macrumors member

I would. Format it on your PC with FAT32 partitioning and this should relieve your issues. Are you currently formatting NTFS???

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

it wont read ntfs. in fact, if you are ever going to use anything other than windows, ntfs is nothing but a pain in the rear. just format it fat32. that would make it much easier all around. also, make it all one partition as OS X doesn't usually find any partitions beyond the first one.

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Yeah, do FAT32. And if it doesn't mount immediately after that, give it a minute... sometimes OS X will run diskutil on it without telling you.

5. chipchen thread starter macrumors 6502

is there anyway to get it to read NTFS at all though? I need to get data off it first.. then reformat. any ideas? utilities?