External FW800 Drive/Mirror Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Thomill, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Thomill macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I would like some advice on how to arrange an external, mirrored drive setup for my Tiger PM-G5 which I have had for a grand total of two weeks :) . After having had WinXP-Pro crash for the um-teenth time, I have officially given up in WinTel.

Originally I had ordered a LaCie 500gb d2 unit for primary work-related storage. That unit worked for about 30 minutes before succuming to the spontaneous mount/unmount problem that was dicussed here before (problems with logic board and/or power supply). It is currently (and apparently eternally) in the hands of LaCie for repair. My hopes for that unit, along with my confidence in LaCie :mad: , are not high. Regardless, my needs have changed a bit, and that is what I need help with please.

Ideally, what I would like to do is have two external FW800 drives, each around 250-500gb in size, that are mirrored. That is, I would like to use one physical drive as my primary storage area, and have that drive automatically mirrored to the second physical drive. I will confess my ignorance of RAID and software mirroring tools (including Tiger's own), despite trying to search here and in the Apple.com forums for a solution. It does not matter to me if the two physical drives are in the same enclosure or are two distinct daisy-chained drives. I very much so like the BuffaloTech TeraStation, and in fact have on my home network; I would just like something similar for the desktop attached to the single PMG5.

Hopefully that makes some sense and any help would be welcome! :D

Thanks.
    T

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

diskutility has all the stuff you need for raid.