External Hard Disk Recommendations??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Links77, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Links77 macrumors newbie

I own a Powerbook with a 60Gb hard drive and I've run out of room.
    What I need is a second hard drive but I have no idea which makes are the best or which model I should go for.

From what I can see, something 160Gb-250Gb is the most cost effective size to go for, which suits me perfectly I think.

But which one?
    In particular I'd love to hear from people who have actually used these for a while. Are they reliable or are they going to die and lose all my data in a years time?
    What do you guys recommend?

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

The LaCie d2 seems to be pretty popular - I know a few people on MacRumors have that one and have reported it to be very reliable.

Personally, I went the cheaper route and bought a MacAlly external case and put a Seagate Barracuda drive in it. It's extremely quiet and I've been very happy with it.

3. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

i just bought a 400gb lacie d2 extreme for my powerbook. i like it a lot. it is also my first product to actually use my firewire 800port. i like

i would recomend it. though it is not mobile, so i also recomend one of those firewire powered drives ( ihave that one too) also recomend it

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

The most cost effective method is to purchase an HD enclosure and a seperate hard drive. See my sig for the setup I use. I love it, and it has performed very well.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The Lacie D2s are solid and come with back up software for various things. I'd recommend them anyday.