External Hard Drive - Buffalo or WD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by irbdavid, Oct 29, 2006.

1. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me from experience whether or not the auto power off function on either of these two USB hard drives works when they're used with a mac that just sleeps rather than one that actually gets shut down. Also, would the auto power off work if they were connected to the mac via a powered USB hub?

Buffalo DriveStation
    Western Digital MyBook

Cheers,

Dave

2. techster85 macrumors regular

I have heard that the MyBook will autopower off when your mac sleeps. Now, I heard this about the MyBook Pro, so the regular USB drive might be a little different.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Why buy a finished-goods drive with a measly 1 year warranty and a 2 Mb drive cache, when you could build your own with a "internal" IDE drive and a good case (like a MacAlly, where you have the choice of USB, FW400 FW800 or any combination) and get an 8 or 16 Mb cache and a 3 to 5 year warranty on the drive mechanism, for about the same price?

4. thenewguy macrumors regular

I think you need to do some math.

The only MacAlly External Enclosure that has Firewire 800 is this: http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/storage_device/phr_100acb.html

Its $150. A 250gb HDD with 16mb cache and all that is going to be around $80. That's $230 for a 250gb ext. For That exact same price at Dell Home you can get the My Book Pro 500gb! That has a 3 year warranty, 16mb cache, FW 800, and the aesthetics are a no brainer.

The 250gb version is way cheaper, too.