External hard drive compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sealed, Jul 1, 2005.

1. sealed macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2005
    I ordered an iMac G5 last Saturday, and according to package tracking, it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I am switching from a PC laptop with a 300 GB external hard drive. Currently it is an NTFS formatted drive.

I am wondering about the best solution for getting the external HD to work with the Mac. At this point, I think I am going to back up all my data and try to convert it to FAT32 with Partition Magic so I can use it with the Mac and the PC if needed. In this situation, FAT32 is not the most efficient when it comes to speed, from what I have read. Is the speed really that noticable?

I have considered converting to HFS or HFS+, but it is apparently not compatible with a Windows platform. And of course, if I keep the drive in NTFS, the Mac will not be able to write to it.

I realize that I could potentially write to an NTFS drive from the Mac by setting up a network server, but that is not a course of action I want to take.

Given my situation what would you guys suggest is the best solution?
  2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    There are a variety of ways to get Windows to work with HFS/HFS+ drives. Such as MacDrive.
  3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    FAT32 is the (free) way to go. I don't think that any speed differences will be that prevalent. Don't know if you can get a 300Gb single FAT32 partition though, maybe have to split up into smaller partition sizes?
  4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    Go with FAT32. As you said, it's compatible with both platforms. Not sure about speed differences between the formats, but I would assume it's difficult to notice.

Good luck and congratulations on the new Mac,