External Hard Drive Decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fansub, Mar 27, 2007.

1. fansub macrumors member

hey everyone, im looking at getting an external hard drive for my 15" MBP. These are the two designs that im looking at to sit next to my MBP. What i really want is this (the one on the top), its a Pleiades Taurus Enclosure (http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/taurus/pdd_raid) which i could get for about $200 U.S
    However the one on the bottom is alot cheaper (i can get it for $60 ish U.S.) and looks good (http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/pleiades/pd_usb2)
    My question is: is there anything out there similar in looks to this range of hard drives that i could get for less.

Attached Files:

2. eldino macrumors member

eldino

i have the Plaiades.. it's a fuc*in sexy case... i have the usb 2.0 + fw400 one... dude, it's really amazing.. get it :) leave those 20$ crappy cases to n00bs, pay for the quality and the design :)

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You should also check out drives from G-TECH. They have a very similar look to them. You can find them on the apple website, or on right here.

4. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I have the case on the right (repacked by Rosewill) and just a warning: There is a very, very bright blue LED behind the top of that grille that burns with the fire of 1,000 suns.

I guess you could disconnect it, but I just hide the drive. Other than that, it is an absolutely fantastic enclosure.

Also, I have seen other brands exactly like that Raid enclosure and I think they only have FW400 on the front. That would be very annoying and ugly if that is the way you will be connecting.

5. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Can you buy the second drive right off that website? I think it looks really neat and am wondering if i can purchase it directly from the website, because i didn't see a "buy now" option.

6. eldino macrumors member

eldino

yeah I have seen those and i think they are very sexy too, but it seems they aren't available in Italy :-( and btw they can't be sold alone, without the disk inside right?