1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

External hard drive ejects for no reason

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by tedesco24, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I have a 500gb Western Digital external drive connected through a usb hub. Ever since upgrading to ML I periodically (maybe once every other day) get the "device did not eject properly" message. Out of nowhere my computer dumps the connection with the external drive. Sometimes the device will be eject while I'm using the computer, so it's not a sleep issue like some other users are having trouble with.
    Just now I was copying some a folder from the WD to my Dropbox desktop folder. In the middle of the transfer, it dropped the transfer and gave me the disconnect error.
    Any ideas what could be causing this? Fixes?

2. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Most likely a cable.

3. macrumors 68030

fisherking

the hub. same thing happened to me. replaced the hub with a POWERED hub, and the problem went away...

4. macrumors member

I have the same issue with my external Time Machine drive. Will disconnect randomly. It is connected directly to the USB port. I haven't gotten around to trying a different cable.

5. macrumors 6502

I've experienced this a few times too. Just thought it was a fluke. Maybe I'll give it a bit more attention next time.

6. macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

western digital ... that's the answer. their usb connections are flimsy :mad:

i have one as well that keeps disconnecting. although, it started happening when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. maybe it's the Snow Leopard :confused:

7. macrumors 68030

fisherking

my drive is an iomega, so not just WD drives.for me, the powered hub fixed it.
    perhaps look at this...

8. macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i had a hub and it's now connected directly to the imac ... pardon me, but what am i supposed to be looking at on that link?